The sound of thunder erupts from the ice. The glacier is on the move. Massive amounts of ice are pushed around. The glacier moves forward, closer and closer to the edge where it breaks off and plummets into the ocean. A spectacular natural phenomenon known as calving. Join us an exciting boat ride where we head out to explore and see the spectacular glaciers on the west side of Isfjorden.
The glaciers on Svalbard are not like the ones you experience in the rest of the world. They can recede for many years before they suddenly move fast forward for some years, resulting in magical ice formations within the glacier. This process is known as surging and the surge glaciers on Svalbard are a must see for everyone who visits the Arctic. One of the glaciers on the west side of Isfjorden is currently surging. Join us as we head out in open RIB-boats to explore the glaciers and the wildlife that surrounds them.
Approximately driving time: 2-3 hours
- Transport to and from your hotel
- Floating suit, life vest, shoes, gloves, googles and balaclava
- A flotation suit, life vest, boots, mittens, goggles and balaclava
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- A guide with boat, fuel and safety equipment
- Hot drinks and refreshments
- Own clothing: wollsocks, wollen inner layer, thick wollen sweater and windproof outer clothing
- On colder days an extra set of gloves as a liner to our mittens
- A small backpack could be useful for cameras, extra jackets, and other small items
Not suitable if pregnant or suffering from back problems.
Not suitable if pregnant or suffering from back problems. The boat may not carry passengers under 14 years of age unless any such passenger is accompanied by an adult.
Terms and conditions here!