Experience the kingdom of the polar bear and the arctic nature up close, as we drive our snowmobiles through wide valleys and coastal landscapes, past large glaciers and frozen rivers.
Due to low temperatures and the amount of sea ice, the east coast of Spitsbergen is hunting ground for the polar bear. To get there, we travel east from Longyearbyen and into Adventdalen valley on the frozen river, before driving through the valleys Eskerdalen and Sassendalen.
We continue east towards the glacier plateus that extend from the North to the South of Spitsbergen. After a little break and yet another safety briefing, we cross a moraine and up to the snow covered glaciers that leads to Mohnbukta bay, on the east coast.
With a view of the glacier terminus (the glacier front) extending around the lagoon of Mohnbukta, we stop for a warm lunch, eyes peeled for any wildlife in the area. When the time is right, we pack up our things, get back on our snowmobiles and return to Longyearbyen.
We recommend that everyone drives their own snowmobile; this is easier than driving with a passenger. This trip is dependent on weather and ice conditions, especially early and late in the season, as well as a minimum number of participants.
Our snowmobiles are one of the most environmentally friendly snowmobiles on the market.
NOK 4090,- driver
Passenger: NOK 1990,-
- Transport to and from hotels
- Touring snowmobile and fuel
- A snowmobile suit, boots, mittens, helmet, goggles and balaclava
- An expedition lunch, hot drinks and biscuits
- Search and Rescue Insurance
- A local and experienced guide with a snowmobile and safety equipment
- We recommend you wear warm clothing
- On colder days an extra set of gloves as a liner to our mittens
- A mid-layer consisting of a sweater and pants in fleece or wool is advisable
- Down jackets, or other heavily insulated clothing, are not recommended beneath the snowmobile suit
- Our snowmobiles do not have a storage compartment, so a small backpack could be useful for cameras, extra jackets, and other small items
- Previous snowmobile experience recommended, long day trip
- A base-layer of wool or an equivalent is essential
- A valid driving license for a car or motorcycle must be carried during the whole trip
- We do not recommend joining this trip if you are pregnant or have any back pains.
- Total distance: Approximately 200km
- Pickup: At your hotel at approximately 08:00, every day